Tuesday, May 17, 2005

The Trainie

I had my first encounter with a "trainie" last night on the ride home. While riding along, I could look through the window into the next car, where I could see a young man with a cowboy hat and guitar playing and singing quite enthusiastically. Because he was sealed off in the next car, however, I could hear nothing. So I just sat there watching his performance and giving thanks that I didn't have to actually hear anything he was singing. He carried on for about 20 minutes and then passed the hat around, but didn't seem to collect much in reward for his effort. About five minutes from my station, however, the door at the end of my car opened, and the trainie walked through (there were audible groans from my fellow passengers) - obviously hoping to have better luck with a different car. He walked down the aisle and sat down, and I spent five very nervous minutes waiting for him to burst into song. Thankfully, the singing never started, and by this point in time I'd arrived at my station and made my escape.

No comments: