Monday, May 23, 2005

Back to School II

I resumed my German classes last night at the Goethe Institut. The new class consists of about 9 people - 7 of which have been taking classes there for some time, and two new people (myself included). It was a very outgoing group of people, and die Lehrerin (Kathrin von Ost Berlin - ihr Mann kommt aus New Jersey) appeared quite enthusiastic and knowledgeable. So it looks like it will be a good time. The classes here clearly move at a slower pace than in DC - spending more time on conversation and day-to-day topics, rather than grammar. But that should be a welcome change. After introducing myself, the other students as well as Kathrin suspected that I was too advanced for the class, but only because I said I was ein Umwelt Wissenschaftler, which none of the students understood. After that, I pretty much kept my mouth shut and tried to keep up.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ben: what's an "Umwelt Wissenschaftler"? Is that German for "climate scientist"?

--Newley

Anonymous said...

Das klingt doch gut. Und eine Lehrerin, die Kathrin heisst, ist sicherlich nett, oder? Viele Gruesse aus Muenchen an den Umweltwissenschaftler...

katrin