Friday, March 11, 2005

Welcome to Australia

One of the stereotypes I often here about Aussies is how friendly and welcoming they are. Bill Bryson, for example, related an anecdote about a Polish immigrant to Australia during the late 19th century who, when reporting (as required by law) to the local police precinct upon arrival was greeted warmly by a burly officer who extended a hand and said, "Welcome to Australia, son"!

Stereotypes exist for a reason. I received a similar greeting in The Local in East St. Kilda Thursday night upon being introduced to Tom. Tom held out his hand and said, "Welcome to Australia, mate - this is the best country in the world." (I'm not making this up). He then challenged me to an Irish car bomb race, which I lost miserably (Tom was clearly in another league). After that Tom showed pity and just forced tequila shots on me. It was a fun night.

1 comment:

Carrie said...

So what's an Irish Car Bomb Race?

Your sis-in-law in the US