Sunday, October 08, 2006

Imminent Doom! (Maybe)


I awoke this Monday morning to find no shortage of alarming headlines regarding the potential implications of climate change for the Asia/Pacific region. On any other day, I'd have wondered what it was that set the press off, but this morning I largely had only myself to blame. The Climate Change and Development Roundtable released its policy recommendations regarding climate change and development assistance today, the scientific foundations of which were established by a CSIRO report to which I contributed. The attention thus far has been quite good, but I still sometimes have trouble reconciling what I know was written in our report with what is communicated in the media. Suffice to say, for some media outlets, sensationalism is alive and well - one can only hope that such headlines inspire some to look deeper and develop an understanding of climate change risk that is a bit more sophisticated than that which can be developed over a cup of coffee. Meanwhile, my hat is off to those journalists who take the time to understand and carefully communicate what is undoubtedly a very difficult subject.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ben:

You even got mentioned in our humble paper in Madison, Wisconsin. Not CSIRO, not the Climate Change and Development Roundtable, but "Ben Preston, author of the report." You may not have meant to rock the boat, but damn'!

Tad