Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Port Douglas


Last week (and by last week, I mean the week before), I ventured to Port Douglas, Queensland for a workshop on climate change impacts in the coastal zone. When initally offered the opportunity, I said, "sure - where's Port Douglas?" So now I know it's nestled up in far north Queensland, north of Cairns. The tiny hamlet caters to tourists (young European couples, wealthy pensioners, rednecks on honeymoons, and various Asian visitors) and a small group (4,500) of locals. Arriving at the tail end of the wet season, temperatures were high and humidity was higher, and due to the lingering presence of stingers (i.e., small jellyfish that kill you), swimming along the beach was confined to a small roped off area. Still - nice little community, although I imagine it's a bit more nutty once the rains stop and the real tourist season starts.

I think there are a few other photos here.

No comments: