Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Darwin

I was in Darwin last week for the CSIRO-organized event, Sharing Knowledge: A Workshop on Climate Change Impacts and Adaptation Strategies for Northern Australian Indigenous Communities. First on Darwin - well, I never actually got to see the town itself, but if it's anything like where I was, it's hot, rainy, brutally humid (and that was "good" weather). I'm eager to go back, but during the dry season.

The workshop itself was rather fascinating, primarily with respect to the interaction between the western academics and the Traditional Owners of Indigenous lands. Suffice to say, one is forced to abandon one's customary way of looking at the world, and try to see it through completely different eyes. This is, of course, difficult and at times frustrating, but then I'm sure the Indigenous folks felt the same way. I enjoyed the opportunity to gain some insight into how Indigenous people view their connection with the land, but I'm also hoping that they did, and continue, to get some benefit from the interaction as well.

No comments: