Thursday, May 17, 2007

A Three Hour Tour

Strange things are always afoot on the Frankston Line. I'm used to the break downs, cars stalled on the tracks, the "signal failures," as well as the colourful passengers who keep me company on my rides to and from work (today it was a pleasant chap drinking a VB - at 8:30 in the morning). But this evening, mental illness and train malfunctions joined forces to create a perfect commuter storm. Some poor duffer opted to climb a signal tower at Glenhuntly Station and treatened to off himself. As a result, Connex shut down the trains, just in time for peak hour traffic. Chaos ensued as masses of people scrambled to get on board the occassional bus chartered to rescue stranded commuters. Now I know what it was like when Saigon fell. I left work at 4:15 to head for karate training. Three hours later, I arrived home, having already missed training and wondering why I bother with public transport (incidentally, this is about the sixth transit mishap I've experienced in the past month - it's getting a bit absurd). Melbourne's starting to make the rail services in America look down right efficient.

By the way, Youth Group have a song entitled The Frankston Line. . ."

"The Frankston Line's full of teenage crime
and the cops can't do no more
Hooded tops, cigarettes at stops,
I don't love you anymore"

No comments: