Monday, September 11, 2006

My Beef with Sunrise and Boost Juice


I've climbed aboard my soapbox to address a tragic injustice that's been raging behind the scenes at two of Australia's most beloved enterprises: Sunrise and Boost Juice.

The plot - every morning the delightful hosts at Sunrise announce two names (one male, one female). If your name is announced, you get to rock up to your local Boost Juice Bar and get a free beverage (called a "hottie" - whatever that is). As articulated below in my comment to Sunrise (submitted dutifully following Sunrise protocols), I find this contest completely rigged and unfair, in contrast to traditional "Australian values."

"Dear Sunrise,
Every morning for the past two weeks, I've been watching with interest as names are announced in the daily Boost Juice "What's Ya Name Game". Unless I'm mistaken, the names that have been chosen are almost exclusively those that are Anglo-Saxon in origin. That's wonderful for Tom, Dick, and Harry, but what about those Australians who were here before the First Fleet arrived? What about the Australians who have their roots in Italy, Greece, Serbia, China, Vietnam, Indonesia, etc.? I'm sure they wouldn't mind a fair go at winning a free beverage. Though I'm sure this is an accidental and perhaps inconsequential oversight, it is a simple demonstration of the privilege that those in the majority get to enjoy and the prejudices that we often overlook."


I continue to await a response. (It's been a few days, I'm not holding by breath.)

No comments: