Sunday, November 27, 2005

Happy Birthday

Once again, the Frankston line has proven to be an excellent place for meeting some of Australia's more interesting characters. I alluded to my encounter with Repo Man and Hip-Hop Boy in a previous post - both good stories, but ones I'm too lazy to tell. Friday night provided another good story, however, as I encountered Donna and three other young women with names ending in "ie" (insert whatever generic name you like, I forget). "_ie" was celebrating her 19th birthday, and thus as I entered Aspendale station, I was urged by the others to pay my respects with a cheery "Happy Birthday". I did so, which prompted squeals of "YOU'RE AN AMERICAN!!!!". I'm not sure when anyone got this excited about meeting an American, but I'm fairly sure it was prior to George Bush taking office. In any case, I'm also confident that the high praise I received for being a yank was almost entirely a function of the large amounts of alcohol the young ladies had consumed (and continued to consume while waiting for the train). Another of the "_ie" girls had just returned from South Carolina, where I'm sure she blended right in, as the culture of many parts of eastern Port Philip Bay is rather similar to that of coastal South Carolina). The girls were on their way to Mentone, I believe, to spend their Friday night celebrating "_ie's" birthday at a local club, so I had the pleasure of their company for a few stops. I was quizzed on all things American (e.g., Disneyland, southern accents, television, celebrities) and American impressions of Australians - I answered "yes" when asked if I thought Australians drink too much (the ladies offering themselves as a case-in-point), but "no" when asked if I thought all Australians were uneducated bogans.

I'm starting to believe that Aspendale station will be the source of the vast majority of my amusing anecdotes involving Australia.

Happy 19th "_ie", wherever you are. . .

No comments: