Sunday, July 17, 2005

Polka Champion

I was informed by my wife yesterday that a Melbourne man, Joseph "Hash" Hachem, became the first Australian to win the Polka chapionship in Las Vegas Nevada - with winnings totaling $10 million. I spent quite some time scratching my head in wonder, finding it hard to believe that one can earn such a vast sum of money by being a Polka enthusiast. A vigorous debate ensued, which was interrupted by the announcement on the nightly news that indeed Hachem had, in fact, won the World Series of Polka, only it was the World Series of Poker. This made much more sense to me, and, in fact, was what Uta had been trying to tell me all along. I attributed the misunderstanding to Uta's accent. She attributed the misunderstanding to me being stupid.

In any case, congrats to Hachem. Well played.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Na klar, hast Du nicht richtig zugehoert! Uta

Anonymous said...

Typisch Mann eben. Die hoeren doch nie richtig zu! katrin aus Muenchen